Murmuration- Data Scientist
Who We Are
Murmuration seeks massively improved education outcomes for kids by providing information, infrastructure, and support for education-related public advocacy and community building efforts.
One of Mumuration’s key initiatives, mInsights, is a technology product that seeks to aggregate data from a combination of sources such as partner organization’s member data, publicly available data, consumer data, voterfile data, and more. These data will then be used to build a variety of models and tools that will position Murmuration’s partner organizations to activate and expand their supporter bases effectively, and mobilize them for sustained political change. Murmuration has the unique opportunity to build, with partners, a massive dataset that can leverage creative data science to profoundly change the way that advocacy efforts and service providers engage their bases.
About the Position
We are looking for a creative and endlessly inquisitive Data Scientist to join our team. You will be working hand-in-hand with our head of analytics to develop highly optimized predictive models from a large volume of regularly updated data. In addition, you will be a key resource for building out custom analytics to help analyze our partners’ work in the political and advocacy spheres. You will be working in a small but dedicated, detail-oriented team, dedicated to our mission. The Murmuration work environment is friendly, driven, non-corporate but professional.
The Data Scientist will:
- Create predictive analytics using the latest machine learning algorithms on relatively “big” data (hundreds of features on > 100 million records);
- Produce post-mortem analytics on the advocacy and campaign work being performed in our platform with a view to helping our partners constantly learn from their efforts and get better over time;
- Work closely with Murmuration’s data team to analyze and augment our data;
- Work closely with Murmuration’s business analysts to draft clear and informative data visualizations;
- Work with our staff and partners to develop practical ways to apply our leading analytics to the real world;
- Help optimize our analytic work to perform well on large datasets stored in AWS; and
- Never stop asking questions and always be hunting for the next insight to be gleaned from our data.
Murmuration attracts employees with distinctive and diverse backgrounds and accomplishments. Integrity, creativity, flexibility, and drive are key attributes of competitive candidates.
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD in political science, sociology, mathematics or other related field or 4-5 years experience performing data analysis work as described below.
- Excellent general data science skills (data cleaning, munging, data visualization).
- Excellent Python or R skills.
- Experience building machine learning models on large datasets.
- Experience identifying appropriate statistical techniques and applying them to a variety of real-world datasets.
- Strong problem solving skills as well as the ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Experience with databases and knowledge of SQL preferred.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, in particular applying analytics in that setting (desired not required).
- Interest in politics and/or educational policy.
Compensation and Benefits
The Data Scientist positionis a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.