Murmuration- Talent and Operations Manager
Who We Are
Murmuration is an organization dedicated to sustainable policy change in the U.S. and we believe that the path to real change in America’s education system is through political activism. Together with partners, our core work is developing a shared infrastructure and coordinated support for organizations on the ground to massively improve outcomes for all children. Murmuration has worked directly with local schools and organizations to amplify the voices of parents and families in education.
Murmuration has also developed a technology product called “mInsights” that seeks to aggregate data from a combination of sources such as partner organization’s member data, publicly available data, consumer data, voter file data, and more. These data will then be used to build a variety of models and tools that will position Murmuration’s partner organizations to activate and expand their supporter bases effectively, and mobilize them for sustained political change.
About the Position
We’re looking for a smart, collaborative and strategic Talent and Operations Manager to join our Operations team. In the short term, this role will build on our strong foundation and focus on building strategic talent solutions to support Murmuration’s growth. You’ll have the opportunity to create, shape and implement programs for our team members to grow and develop. You’ll work with department leaders in innovative ways to bring out the best in their teams. Over the medium-term, you’ll also assist across all operating functions – Finance, IT and HR – to ensure that Murmuration is operating as effectively, compliantly and efficiently as possible.
Areas of responsibility will include organizational design, recruitment, performance management, teammate relations, compliance, and general operational functions. As Talent and Operations Manager, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Attracting and onboarding great talent
- Ensure that Murmuration is presented to prospective candidates with the organization’s mission and core values at the center.
- Work with department leaders to source talent and manage the pipeline of qualified candidates.
- Manage a hiring process that not only assesses for technical fit but also for cultural fit.
- Develop a deep understanding of the partners and sectors that Murmuration’s work touches to ensure that Murmuration’s human capital strategy is aligned with the organization’s overall strategy and desired outcomes.
- Ensure that new team members are guided through a comprehensive onboarding process that exposes them to Murmuration’s culture, program and operations.
Retaining great talent
- Be a strong culture-bearer for Murmuration, always looking for innovative ways to support and recognize strong performance across the organization.
- Direct the creation of a talent management strategy that provides opportunities for teammate development and advancement and supports the organization’s growth.
- Implement organizational performance management system, ensuring that the process and the tools are designed to facilitate actionable next steps for staff and managers.
- Have a strong familiarity over time with Murmuration systems (across HR, Finance and IT) and support the organization in achieving compliance and efficiency across all functions.
- Support financial management across the organization including the production/review of key financial reports, expense processing, etc.
- Support in the implementation of an organizational performance management system to define and track organizational goals across program functions for review by staff, funders, and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee technology issues including but not limited to procurement, management and support of staff IT needs such as computers, phones, etc.
Murmuration attracts employees with distinctive and diverse backgrounds and accomplishments. Integrity, creativity, flexibility, and drive are key attributes of competitive candidates.
- 4-6 years of experience working in an HR function with significant exposure to talent acquisition, talent management and compliance
- Quick study, willing to learn new things and learn them quickly by any means necessary
- Knowledge of and experience with employment laws
- Knowledgeable of process improvement strategies and how to apply them to human resources processes. Track record in seamless execution and delivery of results
- Strong ethics and values with a high level of integrity
- Proficient to Advanced across MS Office suite including Excel, Powerpoint and Word